O has hired 84 year old former USC coach John Robinson

TigerTap

Senior
(He turns 84 in in 3 weeks)

www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211806279

“I want to welcome Coach Robinson and his wife Miss Beverly to the LSU Family,” Orgeron said. “Coach has been a great friend and mentor to me and he will be a very valuable resource for us in growing our championship culture at LSU"

The Hall of Famer checks in at #151 on the CFB All-Time winning percentage list. With Miles at #55 & long time LSU coach Cholly Mac at #93.

41 years ago, Robinson won a Split National Championship with Alabama, USC got #1 in the Coaches Poll, Alabama got #1 in the AP Poll.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/win-loss-pct-coach-career.html

I'm guessing former USC running back OJ.Simpson will be joining LSU soon to sharpen up our RB corps soon. ;)

Last edited:

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way

The Hall of Famer checks in at #151 on the CFB All-Time winning percentage list. With Miles at #55 & long time LSU coach Cholly Mac at #93.

41 years ago, Robinson won a Split National Championship with Alabama, USC got #1 in the Coaches Poll, Alabama got #1 in the AP Poll.

I'm guessing former USC running back OJ.Simpson will be joining LSU soon to sharpen up our RB corps soon. ;)

If the juice can teach our guys how to knife and slash through defenses the way he did I'm all for it. I'll even help him look for the real killer on the golf course.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
So the trend of "Where coaches geaux to live out their golden years" at LSU continues. Not trying to be a negative Nancy... but what can an 84 year old bring to the table? Dude is one tantrum on the sideline away from a stroke.

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
So the trend of "Where coaches geaux to live out their golden years" at LSU continues. Not trying to be a negative Nancy... but what can an 84 year old bring to the table? Dude is one tantrum on the sideline away from a stroke.

Relax. Robinson is not going to be on the coaching staff with any responsibility to make decisions. But even at 84 if he still retains his faculties the man is full of football knowledge. If he is capable of giving us any edge however slight why not take advantage of it? He doesn't count against the limit of assistants and Oeaux is free to take his advice or ignore it. If Vince Lombardi was still alive would you object to taking advantage of his knowledge?

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
I listened to a 12 minute interview with him yesterday. Sounded to me like he's still got it upstairs. He will be in the press box, not on the sidelines.

TigerTap

Senior

I don't see the winningest coaches in CFB raiding The Villiges, for 80+ year old analysts/assistants. Look at Saban's & Dabo's staffs. If this was a great idea, you'd think all of 'em would be packing their Shadow staffs" with retired 1970's & 1980's coaches.

Nothing against John Robinson. He was a pretty good coach for his time. People forget that he coached 6 seasons after USC, at UNLV & won just 28 games. (lost 42). Maybe that's good at UNLV, I don't know. No idea what he can bring after a decade of inactivity, for the most part. He coached a High school team for a year in 2009 or 2010, I believe.

This has kind of a 'Saints in the 80's' feel, imo. Remember when Earl Campbell & Kenny Stabler were Saints well after there careers were done? I know that's different, but it has a similar feel to me.

Last edited:

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I don't see the winningest coaches in CFB raiding The Villiges, for 80+ year old analysts/assistants. Look at Saban's & Dabo's staffs. If this was a great idea, you'd think all of 'em would be packing their Shadow staffs" with retired 1970's & 1980's coaches.

Nothing against John Robinson. He was a pretty good coach for his time. People forget that he coached 6 seasons after USC, at UNLV & won just 28 games. (lost 42). Maybe that's good at UNLV, I don't know. No idea what he can bring after a decade of inactivity, for the most part. He coached a High school team for a year in 2009 or 2010, I believe.

This has kind of a 'Saints in the 80's' feel, imo. Remember when Earl Campbell & Kenny Stabler were Saints well after there careers were done? I know that's different, but it has a similar feel to me.
I understand your feelings on this, similar to mine when I first read the story.

Apparently tho, the dude had a pipeline into a majority of major high school football coaches offices in California. Could be a great thing, could be absolutely nothing at thispoint anymore... only time will tell. I'm willing to take a wait and see approach in terms of the benefits, if any.

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....

LMAO!!! WTF