Ken Burns Vietnam Doc

LaSalleAve

Simple man with a complex plan
I haven't watched it yet and yes I was in Nam from 69 - 70 at Bien Hoa air base.

You fly Huey’s or something? My father in law was a Corpsman in Vietnam. Injured by a bamboo mine. 69 and 70 were the years that the soldiers were really starting to question authority wasn’t it? My namesake died there in Tay Ninh in 69.

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
You fly Huey’s or something? My father in law was a Corpsman in Vietnam. Injured by a bamboo mine. 69 and 70 were the years that the soldiers were really starting to question authority wasn’t it? My namesake died there in Tay Ninh in 69.
I was enlisted worked in Logistics. I didn't start to question it until I returned home and saw all the craziness.

LaSalleAve

I was enlisted worked in Logistics. I didn't start to question it until I returned home and saw all the craziness.

So you have to be impressed with the way the NV were able to utilize the Ho Chi Minh trail right? Those people were pretty brave.

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
So you have to be impressed with the way the NV were able to utilize the Ho Chi Minh trail right? Those people were pretty brave.
At Bien Hoa we had the modified C-123s that flew the Ranch Hand missions that sprayed defoliant over the Ho Chi Minh trail. I flew a couple of missions. Despite heir efforts those bastards continued to get through.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
The Ho Chi Minh should've been kept on perpetual napalm strikes. Keep their main supply route burning hot an bright, and they would've caved early on.

LaSalleAve

They moved mostly at night, and didn’t use lights. But sometimes their convoys would get bogged down or stuck and when that happened they were fish in a barrel but yeah more tonage was dropped on the trail by the US military than in the entire 2nd world war by the US.

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
They moved mostly at night, and didn’t use lights. But sometimes their convoys would get bogged down or stuck and when that happened they were fish in a barrel but yeah more tonage was dropped on the trail by the US military than in the entire 2nd world war by the US.
Including a shitload by BUFFs.

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
If I had a dollar for every bomb dropped on the trail I would be living in a mansion and have a private box in Tiger Stadium.

Instead of dropping all those bombs in the jungle they should have bombed Hanoi and mined Haiphong Harbor.