Tell The Truth Monday

3 and out

Freshman
I felt like this should have its own thread.

24 Hour Rule is over.

It’s tell the truth Monday: here’s my truth. (FYI, it’s long, but should be a good read).

We’ve exceeded my expectations and I’ll be a damn happy Tiger Fan all week! But, we still have a lot of improvement to work on.

Our pass protection is poor (this is due to injury mainly). It’s Spotty at best. Hopefully health and cohesion as a unit will improve this.

Burrow is a smart QB with a decent arm. He is fearless and learning on the job each and every week. His mental clock needs to improve and I feel like it will. He has thrown some dimes this year and his feet are a factor. He is Going to be a force by next season and hopefully by postseason.

Our WR’s are young and also constantly improving. Chase, Marshall and Jefferson will be a serious threat with a much improved Joe Burrow as time goes on. Especially if we add in a true pass catching TE. Look out everybody else.

Our running game is improving each week. Nick Brossette is one of the most patient RB’s I’ve seen. CEH is coming along and learning how and when to hit holes. He has grown up a lot this year and will be a beast by next season, probably by the end of this year. Hell, he is one now, but his better days are definitely ahead.

Our offense is improving and there is some talent there, but it’s a year away from being a real threat. I’m not a huge coach E fan but I give credit where it’s due. If I continue to see him make in game adjustments like he did against Georgia he will continue to earn my respect. But I still feel like Saban and Bama are going to make a fool out of him (again). And I still question some of his play calling at times. But I’m sure I would do that to any LSU OC, fans are critical. What can I say.

Our front seven on defense is spotty as well. Mainly up front. Coach O needs to get some depth there. He can start be stealing Sopsher!
That’s an area of concern this year and for
The future. Especially with the 3-4 Arranda likes to run. We need 3 big hog Molly’s up front who can get a push and some guys behind them who can come in and help clog holes while they get a breather. Not sure why UGA went away from Holyfield. The dude was murdering us. If by some crazy chance we meet them again, expect that guy to get 30 carries. Or for Kirby to fire his OC. Not to mention the blueprint they just gave Bama with Tua and their stable and also A&M with Mond and Williams. Actually state too. All 3 big games we have left have QB’s who can run and big backs, I expect this to be a problem. Dave better tighten this shit up.

It will be interesting to see how Dave continues to develop this young crop of LB’s he has. There are quite a few. And they all need some work. The youngsters play with a lot of passion, but they miss a lot of tackles and shoot the wrong gap a lot. They need film study.

Greedy is a stud, Fulton too. Delpit, well, he is probably my favorite Tiger right now. Which leaves the elephant in the room. Why is it there is always that one asshat we play because he is a senior? Just like Hatcher. Battle is a liability all over the field. And he talks shit like he is the best player out there. Other than that hole, our secondary is sured up. But that’s a big hole and Saban and Jimbo will go after it all night long. They both have great WR’s and Battle will fuck us, mark my words. Fortunately Miss State QB can’t throw so don’t be shocked to see Battle actually get an int against him. But I bet he gets ran over by him too.

I’m not going to be delusional and say this is our year, so I’m thinking long term. I’m not saying there is nothing to play for this year either. We smashed Georgia (albeit Im not sure they gave us their best shot and a rematch in the SECCG would not be a 20 point beat down).

How we respond this week and play Mississippi State (who will be gunning for us), how we matchup with Bama and how we close out against A&M (who will also be gunning for us) will tell us a lot more about this team and coaching staff that still has a lot of question marks, both good and bad. They’ve both over and under achieved this year and I’m happy, so please don’t take this as being negative. It’s tell the truth Monday after all.

If we win all those (3 games mentioned above), I’ll be shocked and the happiest tiger fan I’ve been since the night of November 5th 2011. Shit, if just beat Bama I probably will be, who am I kidding. If We win 2 of 3 I’ll still be delighted, especially if Bama is one of the wins, although I HATE losing games we’re supposed to win. If we win just 1 of 3 (and it’s not the Bama game, which it won’t be) I’m sure I’ll be angry as hell. We lose all 3 and I’ll probably stick to my original thoughts that Coach O is smoke and mirrors and is in over is head, negatiger all day.

It’s how you finish that folks remember. It’s how you respond to both wins and losses. He can get his team to respond to a loss, I’ll give him that. But can he get them to stay up against inferior opponents when we have a target on our back? That’s what separates great coaches and teams from good ones. For example, James Franklin and Penn State are good, they’re not great. I don’t want that. I don’t want to be Penn State. I don’t care if it makes me spoiled or delusional or ungrateful, whatever. You play the game to win! To win championships! Not foster farm bowls.

Happy Tell The Truth Monday. And a cold front is coming. Thank God.

Geaux Tigers!

LaSalleAve

Simple man with a complex plan
Good post.

I wonder why it is we are seeing Brossette in shotgun and zone read situations and CEH in all the pro style formations. Anyone else notice that?

3 and out

Freshman
Good post.

I wonder why it is we are seeing Brossette in shotgun and zone read situations and CEH in all the pro style formations. Anyone else notice that?

I did. Brossette is very patient and good at the zone read. CEH sometimes just runs right into the back of the o line. Curry too. But CEH is coming along.

Also I felt like every time we went under center we told the entire world we were running. Lord knows our o line can’t handle a PA 5 step drop.

LaSalleAve

If I’m being honest? Our Dline isn’t that good and our redzone offense is just bad

Problem with the D line is depth. Not having Shelvin for whatever reason, losing the pass rush at the OLB position as well has hurt the d line. What we are missing is that big gigantic Chad Lavalais run stopper and block eater. I agree on red zone offense. Need to be more creative there.

LaSalleAve

I do think we have the tailback situation figured out now that you see Brossette in the shotgun and CEH in prostyle. I hope that doesn’t mean that having CEH in the shotgun would be a tell for the defense that it’s gonna be a pass. But Brossette seems to be able to run better out of Zone Read because as 3 and out pointed out I think it’s a vision thing. Allow the blocks to take place then hit the hole, but CEH is your Spencer Ware type, lower the head and run straight even though he is very elusive on the edge.

I wanna see more delayed runs, like a draw play, more misdirection, and utilization of Moreau in the red zone.

3 and out

Freshman
If I’m being honest? Our Dline isn’t that good and our redzone offense is just bad

Lack of depth has been hurting us. We’re only rotating 5. I can’t believe they haven’t developed some of the other guys. If we lose Lawrence and Fehoko next year, we’re going to be in bad shape there.

3 and out

Freshman
I do think we have the tailback situation figured out now that you see Brossette in the shotgun and CEH in prostyle. I hope that doesn’t mean that having CEH in the shotgun would be a tell for the defense that it’s gonna be a pass. But Brossette seems to be able to run better out of Zone Read because as 3 and out pointed out I think it’s a vision thing. Allow the blocks to take place then hit the hole, but CEH is your Spencer Ware type, lower the head and run straight even though he is very elusive on the edge.

I wanna see more delayed runs, like a draw play, more misdirection, and utilization of Moreau in the red zone.

Yes. More misdirection and draw plays against aggressive defenses will help. Starting this week against a stout d-line that can be overloaded on one side from time to time. We need to use their aggressiveness against them.

LaSalleAve

Yes. More misdirection and draw plays against aggressive defenses will help. Starting this week against a stout d-line that can be overloaded on one side from time to time. We need to use their aggressiveness against them.

Completely agree and that’s what was missing against UF.

3 and out

Freshman
Completely agree and that’s what was missing against UF.

Let’s see if E can draw something up. He got out coached by Todd Grantham. Let’s hope Bob Shoop doesn’t have the same success.

On D. I think Fitzgerald is going to struggle in Death Valley but if he runs all over us he can eliminate the crowd. I say Dave should stack the box spy him and make him beat us with his shitty arm.

LaSalleAve

Let’s see if E can draw something up. He got out coached by Todd Grantham. Let’s hope Bob Shoop doesn’t have the same success.

On D. I think Fitzgerald is going to struggle in Death Valley but if he runs all over us he can eliminate the crowd. I say Dave should stack the box spy him and make him beat us with his shitty arm.

I don’t see why we didn’t run Zone Read more against UF, the one time we did Burrow ripped a long run. Their DE’s were so aggressive they could have used that against UF. But it wasn’t to be.

3 and out

Freshman
I don’t see why we didn’t run Zone Read more against UF, the one time we did Burrow ripped a long run. Their DE’s were so aggressive they could have used that against UF. But it wasn’t to be.

I agree. I didn’t understand our playcalling. It felt very Les Miles like where we just stick to the game plan and make no adjustments regardless what the defense is throwing at us.

Kikicaca will blame it on execution and give us every excuse in the book starting with Ensminger has only had 27 days to work with Burrow. Then call us an idiot who knows nothing about football and that he does because he played.

But Coach Ensminger just got flat out outcoached and out schemed trying to force things that were clearly not working. He even did that a little bit against Georgia. Which makes you wonder how much of a role Coach O had meddling in it.

LaSalleAve

I agree. I didn’t understand our playcalling. It felt very Les Miles like where we just stick to the game plan and make no adjustments regardless what the defense is throwing at us.

Kikicaca will blame it on execution and give us every excuse in the book starting with Ensminger has only had 27 days to work with Burrow. Then call us an idiot who knows nothing about football and that he does because he played.

But Coach Ensminger just got flat out outcoached and out schemed trying to force things that were clearly not working. He even did that a little bit against Georgia. Which makes you wonder how much of a role Coach O had meddling in it.

Some of it is execution, like the dropped passes, or missed blocks, but I’m with you. The play calling sort of played into UF’s hands whereas I felt UF was doing things that attacked our weaknesses, didn’t feel like we were using their aggressiveness against them or attacking them where they are the most vulnerable. I can’t take anything that dude says serious anyway because he thinks he knows it all and everyone else is wrong except him. Which is probably just parroted from some jackass that told him the same shit.

3 and out

Freshman
Georgia fans calling into Finebaum today. “we were lucky we only lost by 20” because LSU could only put FG’s on the board.

That’s the reason I’m here today and not on TF. The blindness over there to not see that 5 FG’s in the redzone is bad offense. Period. If you dare be critical you’re told you’re a bad fan and out of your mind to be bitching about a 20 point win or an offense scoring 36. Even though we should have scored 45+

Saban on his interview today “we didn’t do a good job in the redzone, only 3 touchdowns on 7 try’s, we have to improve there”

That’s a champion talking!