Who you got: 10-3 LSU 2001 vs 10-3 LSU 2018?

Which team was better?

• 2001 LSU

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • 2018 LSU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TigerTap

Senior
If these 2 LSU teams had played, which one wins? Which one was more deserving of their Top 10 ranking? Both had 5-3 SEC Records.

2001 LSU: SEC Champions, ranked #7 (AP) & #8 (Coaches Poll)
Losses:
#7 Tennessee
#2 Florida
Ole Miss - unranked

Sugar Bowl - Beat #7 Illinois ( Big 10)

Biggest Win: #2 Tennessee (SECCG)

A few notable players:

Rohan Davey
Josh Reed
Michael Clayton
Dom Davis
LaBrandon Toefield
Bradie James
Trev Faulk
Jarvis Green
Ryan Clark
Chad Lavalais

2018 LSU: 3rd place SEC West, ranked #6 (AP) & #7 (Coaches Poll)
#22 Florida
#1 Alabama
Texas A@M - unranked

Fiesta Bowl- Beat # UCF (AAC)

Biggest Win: #2 Georgia

A few notable players:

Joe Burrow
Nick Brosette
Cole Tracy
Justin Jefferson
Clyde Edwards - Helaire
Devon White
Greedy Williams
Grant Delpit
Christian Fulton
Rashad Lawrence

Last edited:

mancha

Freshman
I'm thinking 2001 had the better offense and 2018 the better defense based on top talent. 2001 beat the mighty Tennessee in the SECCG. I'm going with 2001.

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
I'm thinking 2001 had the better offense and 2018 the better defense based on top talent. 2001 beat the mighty Tennessee in the SECCG. I'm going with 2001.

2001 had the edge at QB, WR and RB. Also better OL and DL. Slight edge to 2018 at LB and big edge at DB.

TigerTap

Senior
2001 better Offense, but a lower ranked Defense.

2018 had a better Defense, but lacked in Offense.

Defenses:

Lavalais/Spears vs. Lawrence/Alexander (Close. I give a slight edge to 2018 on raw talent alone, but could be a push.)

T. Faulk/B. James vs. D.White/Divinity ( 2018, both in 2016 recruitung class. 1 Butkus winner at LSU.)

LSU DBs much better in 2018. Greedy, Fulton & Delpit. ( 3 likely 1st/2nd round draft picks) compared to R. Clark, Hookfin, N. Lejuene.

The Pick:
LSU 2001Wins it!

This was a tough game to pick on just talent, imo. The 2001 Offense was very good & had a ton of weapons, including 2 NFL RBs, 3 NFL WRs & a 3,000 yard QB.

Interesting fact: Saban in his 5 LSU recruiting classes, was unable to sign an NFL draft caliber Linebacker at LSU. He was just unable to recruit Georgia while at LSU. During his 5 seasons at Michigan St., Saban had 1 Juco LBer that was drafted.

*Bradie James was signed & played his 1st season under Gerry Dinardo, earning Freshman All-SEC honors in 1999. 4th round pick in (2003 draft). The only LSU Linebacker drafted between 1989 (Eric Hill) - 2010 (Perry Riley). Eric Hill was a Bill Arspbarger recruit, while Perry Riley (From Georgia) was in Les Miles 1st full recruitung class at LSU in 2006.

Seems when Saban landed in Alabama, Linebackers were somehow more avaiable to him. Ex. LB Rolando McClain 1st round (2010 draft). Played 3 years, left early.

Last edited:

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
2001 better Offense, but a lower ranked Defense.

2018 had a better Defense, but lacked in Offense.

Defenses:

Lavalais/Spears vs. Lawrence/Alexander (Close. I give a slight edge to 2018 on raw talent alone, but could be a push.)

T. Faulk/B. James vs. D.White/Divinity ( 2018, both in 2016 recruitung class. 1 Butkus winner at LSU.)

LSU DBs much better in 2018. Greedy, Fulton & Delpit. ( 3 likely 1st/2nd round draft picks) compared to R. Clark, Hookfin, N. Lejuene.

This is a tough game to pick on just talent, imo. The 2001 Offense was very good & had a ton of weapons, including 2 NFL RBs, 3 NFL WAs & a 3,000 yard QB.

Interesting fact: Saban in his 5 LSU recruiting classes, was unable to sign an NFL draft caliber Linebacker at LSU. He was just unable to recruit Georgia while at LSU. During his 5 seasons at Michigan St., Saban had 1 Juco LBer that was drafted.

*Bradie James was signed & played his 1st season under Gerry Dinardo, earning Freshman All-SEC honors in 1999. 4th round pick in (2003 draft). The only LSU Linebacker drafted between 1989 (Eric Hill) - 2010 (Perry Riley). Eric Hill was a Bill Arspbarger recruit, while Perry Riley (From Georgia) was in Les Miles 1st full recruitung class at LSU in 2006.

Seems when Saban landed in Alabama, Linebackers were somehow more avaiable to him. Ex. LB Rolando McClain 1st round (2010 draft). Played 3 years, left early.

Maybe by a coin flip but I would have to pick the 2001 Tigers. Their offense would find a way to score more points on the 2018 defense than the 2018 offense could score on the 2001 defense. They would score touchdowns while 2018 would settle for too many field goals.

TigerTap

Senior
Maybe by a coin flip but I would have to pick the 2001 Tigers. Their offense would find a way to score more points on the 2018 defense than the 2018 offense could score on the 2001 defense. They would score touchdowns while 2018 would settle for too many field goals.

I agree, I forgot to put my pick.