Who would you replace Orgeron with?

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
LSU breaks records, has a Heisman winner, goes undefeated and wins a National Championship in 2019. Then shits the bed in the year of the Covid-shortened season finishing an abysmal 5-5 in 2020. And opens the 2021 season with a less than stellar performance at the Rose Bowl losing to UCLA. Orgeron is now 5-6 after going 15-0 with a SEC and National Championship 2 years ago. How long does he have, and more importantly...

Who would you hire to replace him?

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
He's got a 25 million dollar buyout & I'm not ready to write him or the Tigers after one game.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
He's got a 25 million dollar buyout & I'm not ready to write him or the Tigers after one game.
Just a hypothetical.

Altho, after a 5-5 campaign last season, opening this season with an embarrassing loss to UCLA, exchanging words with rival fan bases (than getting your ass handed to you in said game) and the questionable at-best staff decisions... he may need to muster an 8-4 or better season to get another year. Unfortunately this seasons schedule isn't favorable to him unless he finds a way to fix a lot of issues.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
How many starters did we lose from the 2019 team?
A lot. But still does not excuse several things, like Saturday for instance. Every team has attrition and coaching changes but most programs (who recruit Top 10 classes) find a way to work around that. Apparently O doesn't or can't.

Of course I am also playing devils advocate here, since I am hearing a lot of people calling for his head after Saturday night. Just asking a question on who people would want to replace him with.

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
I question of people calling for his head after one game. There's the buyout & who are you going to replace him with? No coach in his right mind would come to LSU if he's fired after say a 8 - 4 season.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I question of people calling for his head after one game. There's the buyout & who are you going to replace him with? No coach in his right mind would come to LSU if he's fired after say a 8 - 4 season.
Barring some sort of miracle O ain't going 8-4 tho. And that's a problem.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
His buyout is $21M. Orgeron may need a 7-8 W season minimum to buy himself another year but I am sure Woodward is working on a contingent plan behind the scenes incase O falls short.

There's no way LSU separates themselves from O before the end of the season but a dismal .500 or worse record this season and I think the pressure to go another direction becomes too much.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
So... the original question was, "Who would you replace Orgeron with?".

My Top 5 short list in no particular order:

Billy Napier
P.J. Fleck
Matt Campbell
Ryan Day
Josh Heupel