The Bama/LSU Comparison

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Everyone wants to compare Bama/LSU after every week of football. Here's some defensive comparisons, i'll get some offensive comparisons up when I can get to it here shortly.

Total Defense - Yards Per Game:
LSU is #26
Bama is #30

Total Defense - Yards Per Play:
LSU is #17
Bama is #19

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
#LSU WR's Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson are now the #1 and #2 WR's in the #SEC.

Chase: 115.6 YPG, 8 TD's
Jefferson: 111.7 YPG, 8 TD's

Both also rank Top 10 Nationally.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Joe Burrow through 6 games:

2,157 Yrds Passing
25 Touchdowns
3 Interceptions
79.57% Completion Percentage
QBR 93.3
103 Yrds Rushing
2 Touchdowns

TigerTap

Senior
Quite honestly, I believe what happens @Tuscaloosa is our entire season. Maybe we get into the playoffs, if we lose 1 game. Obviously, were in if we win. Having 2 SEC teams in the playoffs will ultimately force Playoff expansion. Like it forced the BCS to be abandoned in 2012. ESPN wants expansion badly & they are currently running CFB.

I can't get too excited about playing the Gus Bus @Home this year. He's already blown his teams chances by losing to Florida. Mullen is a far better Offensive strategist than Gus, imo. I think we'll have a very tough time in Gainesville next year, as Mullen has only 1 recruiting class of his own so far.

Last edited:

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
All I keep hearing over and over and over is how LSU isn't a contender because they have a questionable defense. I realize its not the defense of old and it definitely has some issues that need corrected, but its still a defense that ranks 25th in the country and 4th in the SEC. Its a defense that has battled injuries all season, and can hopefully come to form at the right time.

"LSU is not deserving of the #1 ranking over Bama because our defense is inferior. LSU will lose to Bama because we cant stop their NFL WR's."

- LSU has the higher ranked defense between the 2.
- LSU is more battle tested and has played and beaten 2 top 10 teams. Bama has played zero.
- LSU has NFL CB's that are better than the Bama CB's
- LSU has some NFL WR's of their own

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
Quite honestly, I believe what happens @Tuscaloosa is our entire season. Maybe we get into the playoffs, if we lose 1 game. Obviously, were in if we win. Having 2 SEC teams in the playoffs will ultimately force Playoff expansion. Like it forced the BCS to be abandoned in 2012. ESPN wants expansion badly & they are currently running CFB.

I can't get too excited about playing the Gus Bus @Home this year. He's already blown his teams chances by losing to Florida. Mullen is a far better Offensive strategist than Gus, imo. I think we'll have a very tough time in Gainesville next year, as Mullen has only 1 recruiting class of his own so far.

I agree. Also I was looking at Florida’s depth chart the other day. They will lose a lot of production from this team.

Big name seniors:
Van Jefferson
Tyrie Cleveland
Freddie Swain
Lamical Perine
Jabari Zuniga
Jonathan Greenard
David Reese

Will probably lose their best 2 DB’s to the draft as well in Henderson and Wilson. Both 3rd year

It will be interesting to see what Mullen builds. I think he will have Florida back in the championship game once he gets a QB.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
This is one thing that I see as troublesome with LSU vs Bama

Pass Defense:

Bama #44
LSU #68

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/695

There are some other things to consider, comparing the Push the Bama D gets on the DL, compared to what push the LSU DL is getting for instance, But we'll see what happens.

One could argue the fact that Bama’s stats are slightly better than LSU’s due to their lack of SOS to this point.
Compare our best 2 W’s to theirs, the quiality of opponent and those opponents rankings, and the comparison isn’t close.

TigerTap

Senior
Very true. We've easily got the better SOS. To be honest, Bama hasn't looked great in the defensive backfield r& are missing Dylan Moses at LB'er.