[Game Day Thread] #4 LSU vs. Vanderbilt, 11am SECN

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
I'm not going into panic mode, just being realistic. Northwestern torched this pass defense, today Vandy is torching this pass defense.

To add insult to injury, this Defense seems to have forgotten how to tackle, can't wrap up, takes bad angles, and over-pursues. Now on this current drive, not only has the defense been not at home a few times... but piss poor tackling just gave up another score. Vandy has now put up 31 points against this Defense.

The Bama and aTm Offenses are going to feast on our secondary, unless Aranda finds a way to clean things up.

We’re in trouble on that side of the ball. Big time

mancha

Freshman
Guess we are that offense now that doesn’t run out the clock with the run. Gotta sneak a pass in.

That roughing the passer penalty should have stuck without The targeting. You can’t change a penalty on review!!??

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
Hopefully getting starters back fills these gaps, otherwise it’ll be a long conference season.

I don’t think so. I think we improve a little, but not that much. Think about it, we didn’t have Chaisson last year, and Lawrence missed a lot of time with ankle injuries last year as well. Logan isn’t all that critical. This defense is just bad and has NO leadership.

Delpit regressed worse than I’ve ever seen. He went from Jamal Adams to Karnell Hatcher.

We have no captain in the middle. We’re constantly out of position and tackle as bad as I’ve seen since pre-Saban era.

This is just a bad defense. It’s shootouts or bust.

mancha

Freshman
This from ESPN: it took LSU 2:11 minutes or less to score on their first 7 scoring drives.

What does that do to a Defense? LOL

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
There’s got to be a balance between this new hi-octane Offense and our typically smothering Defense. Without balance, our Defense is going to find themselves hung out to dry far too often. We’re going to play a few teams in the meat of conference play that can play Defense as well as throw the ball well. We’re eventually need to get some stops and/or turnovers.

LSU_4_LIFE

I'm just sayin....
This from ESPN: it took LSU 2:11 minutes or less to score on their first 7 scoring drives.

What does that do to a Defense? LOL

Gives them little time to rest. It’s just going to take some getting used to. We will see what happens when we face a strong defense.

We’re probably not gonna hang 50 on everybody

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
As I expected we are 43rd in total defense, one position above UL Monroe. 76th in passing defense and 23rd in rushing defense and 51st in defensive efficiency.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
As I expected we are 43rd in total defense, one position above UL Monroe. 76th in passing defense and 23rd in rushing defense and 51st in defensive efficiency.
Those numbers will change as we start getting those players lost, back healthy. Until then, the 2’s playing in their spots need to learn to step up and make plays. We’re going to go through some growing pains on Defense, good news is... we have 3 weeks until we face Florida.

TigerTap

Senior
There’s got to be a balance between this new hi-octane Offense and our typically smothering Defense. Without balance, our Defense is going to find themselves hung out to dry far too often. We’re going to play a few teams in the meat of conference play that can play Defense as well as throw the ball well. We’re eventually need to get some stops and/or turnovers.

Exactly. While the Passing game looks phenomenal, the Rushing game is lacking. Needs to be more balance, if only to give the Defense a breather. I don't believe were going to win many Championships, only being able to Pass the ball. We haven't seen any great Defenses yet either.

The Texas game was great, and a great win. But the Horns are currently ranked #100 in Total Defense.

This is where we are currently are in the SEC, running the ball:

https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/rushing

Last edited:

mctiger

Freshman
Exactly. While the Passing game looks phenomenal, the Rushing game is lacking. Needs to be more balance, if only to give the Defense a breather. I don't believe were going to win many Championships, only being able to Pass the ball. We haven't seen any great Defenses yet either.

The Texas game was great, and a great win. But the Horns are currently ranked #100 in Total Defense.

This is where we are currently are in the SEC, running the ball:

https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/rushing
Offense wins games, but defense wins championships? Its a cliche that usually plays out, but that doesn't make it an unbreakable rule. You can win a title giving up 35 a game if you can consistently score 40. Having said that....yes, we need to run the ball better, and it looks to me like Emery may now be slotted for more vital playing time. I think that will help. Defense has to improve as well, but let's wait for the injured players to get back before declaring that the sky has fallen.