Back Strap...

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Backstrap and sautéed brussels sprouts for dinner. Found a nice limited series Office Party Holiday Stout from Abita to go with it.
530DCB97-C4FD-46B7-8F97-29F633B35094.jpeg

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I'll confess. I had to use Google to find out what backstrap was.
The filet cut of the deer, extremely tender. I use Zatarains Cajun fry meal, give'em an egg bath and light covering of the fry meal, then put in hot olive oil. It's so good.

Last edited:

LSUTiga

Public Relations
The

The filet cut of the deer, extremely tender. I use Zatarains Cajun fry meal, give'em an egg bath and light covering of the fry meal, then put in hot olive oil. It's so good.
Very good stuff. Usually the first thing someone takes when we clean deer. It's what the pork chops are on a pig. On deer, they cut it out and, like you said, it's boneless.

Try cutting it in the shape of steak fingers. Smaller pieces fry quicker- allows you to eat it more tender.

LSUTiga

Public Relations
Another thing with deer meat- even roasts. Put the meat in ice and let ice melt, repeat. This takes all the blood out ant the meat is beautiful and not such a string games taste. You can do this in an ice chest with quartered deer or a roast at a time as you thaw it to cook. I'll take out a roast and put it in a tupperware with a little water and cover with ice. Let it melt, pour out bloody water and repeat. Worth the couple days.