AR 10

LSUTiga

Public Relations
Looking at getting one to hunt pigs at night and also deer (daytime). I notice some for under $2K and some 3K or more. What is the difference in what you're getting quality wise?

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Looking at getting one to hunt pigs at night and also deer (daytime). I notice some for under $2K and some 3K or more. What is the difference in what you're getting quality wise?

Nice choice, the .308 is a very versatile round and great for various game hunting.

I'm assuming the varying price range is based on manufacturer as some manufacturers are more expensive than others, differing accessories/features, any extras, etc.

LSUTiga

Public Relations
Thanks. I grew up shooting shotguns with very little experience with pistols or rifles so I'm trying to educate myself.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Thanks. I grew up shooting shotguns with very little experience with pistols or rifles so I'm trying to educate myself.

I went to middle school and high school in Eastern Iowa. Rifle hunting is all but banned there, you could hunt up to a .30-30 I believe for things like Coyote and the like. For Deer season it was shotgun, muzzle loader, and archery only. No baiting, no nothing.

I spent a lot of time hunting squirrel with a .22, and pheasant hunting with a 12g. It was just too damn cold to get into Duck hunting.

Any other kind of shooting like rifle and handgun was mainly at ranges target shooting.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I am about to look into a ruger 10/22 to shoot squirrels.

Those are nice little rifles, great for small game and plinking. I have a walther/colt .22 M4. Just put new optic on it, i'll get a recent pic of it soon.
.22Colt.jpg

Last edited:

LSUTiga

Public Relations
Got me one. Know someone who builds them and I went with the 6.8 spec on the AR platform. Love it and anxious to pop a pig.

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
Those are nice little rifles, great for small game and plinking. I have a walther/colt .22 M4. Just put new optic on it, i'll get a recent pic of it soon.

How much are they? I want one. How many rounds will the magazine's hild?

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Depends on brand. My walther/colt through my father-in-law ran about $400 but I got it at his cost. AR style .22 platforms aren’t all that expensive anymore, even for upper end ones.

The magazines I have are 30 rds.

BAY0U BENGAL

Tigerbaiting champion of the world
The AR-10 is nice. I’ve shot a few that were done up really nice. I always hunted with a .270 I got as a kid, but a .308 is really nice too.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
The AR-10 is nice. I’ve shot a few that were done up really nice. I always hunted with a .270 I got as a kid, but a .308 is really nice too.
Once I am done with RN school I am going to buy a R700. Not sure which model yet but it'll be chambered in .308. Something sleek but simple that can be a great hog or deer gun.

BAY0U BENGAL

Once I am done with RN school I am going to buy a R700. Not sure which model yet but it'll be chambered in .308. Something sleek but simple that can be a great hog or deer gun.

I know a guy that has a ton of hogs in his land and has asked me more than once to come hunt, but I’ve never been able to get over there to hunt.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I know a guy that has a ton of hogs in his land and has asked me more than once to come hunt, but I’ve never been able to get over there to hunt.
Do it. Nothing better than a butt ton of free ground hog for chili and breakfast sausage. Around here land to hog hunt is rare to come by, and most land owners won't allow anyone to come in and hunt the hogs on their property. As well, leases have gotten ridiculously expensive.

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
Depends on brand. My walther/colt through my father-in-law ran about $400 but I got it at his cost. AR style .22 platforms aren’t all that expensive anymore, even for upper end ones.

The magazines I have are 30 rds.

I would like to have an AR style .22 but it would pretty much just be a toy so I wouldn't want to spend a lot for it. Maybe $300 max.

BAY0U BENGAL

I would like to have an AR style .22 but it would pretty much just be a toy so I wouldn't want to spend a lot for it. Maybe $300 max.

I’ve always wanted the .22 that looks like the MP-5. I have no reasoning for it, just saw one once and thought to myself, “I want to kill a squirrel with that”

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
As I said I would, this is an updated pic with the optics I put on it. Still have other plans for this rifle just haven‘t gotten around to messing with it much.

254909BD-6EC2-4706-98B6-BB32E6780D7D.jpeg

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
Loving mine.
A .22lr is the absolute best SHTF weapon ever. Ammo is cheaper to stock up on in bulk, it is easier to carry large quantities of .22lr than any other calibers, and a .22lr can do all sorts of hunting/kill people if needed to for protection.