Pickin' & Shreddin' guitar thread

TigerTap

Senior

Erlewine/ Hondo Chiquita travel guitar
571924_f520.jpg

Forget to add the Erlewine model of the Chaquita, that are made in the USA. The above red model is the Hondo made in the Taiwan, I believe.

rwocfu4l01zzrmnttc4a.jpg

Last edited:

TigerTap

Senior
hmmm, gonna have to post pics from my personal guitar collection later.

@Nutriaitch would love to see your collection. I used to read the 'laya years ago, & think I remember you posting a pretty sweet Les Paul & a Strat maybe? At least I think it was you. Surprised I remember that one thread from years ago, lol. But when it comes to guitars..l love 'em
I'm thinking of posting a few of mine as well.

Nutriaitch

Redshirt
Epiphone SG 1961 re-issue with Cherry finish
Pro-bucker pickups

Edit: Replica color scheme to the on Carlos Santana plated at Woodstock.

3CF73004-28B6-4A08-B084-8D577ACB2AEE.jpeg

Bengal B

Truth, Justice and the American Way
How does Epiphone compare with the real Gibsons? Was thinking about getting an Epiphone hollow body.

Nutriaitch

Redshirt
How does Epiphone compare with the real Gibsons? Was thinking about getting an Epiphone hollow body.

Gibson owns Epiphone.
so the Epiphone equivalent will be built to same “spec” as the Gibson.

meaning more size, shape, weight, neck profile, etc.
so it will look and feel like a Gibson.

the difference is the quality of woods, electronics, finish, etc.

if you buy an ultra low end Epiphone, you’re buying mostly junk. not terrible for a young child’s first guitar. but even a teen would notice the lack of quality if you bought them one.

mid-range epi’s are really well made guitars.
my SG, my 339 and my Les Paul Standard all fall in this range.
i highly recommend them in the “bang for your buck” category.
all are beautiful guitars, play very smooth, and have a very gibson-esque vibe to their tones.

then if you go top of the spectrum Epiphone....
WOW!

my tribute Plus was about the most expensive Epiphone available at time i bought it. Extreme top end for them, but still comfortably under $1,000.

it’s on par with Guitars well over that price range.
blows cheap Gibson out of the water too.

has all american gibson parts solid mahogany body, hard maple cap grover licking tuners, true Gibson USA pickups, etc.
it’s just built overseas.

Finish is a cheaper grade than the Nitro used in America, but is still gorgeous in person.

and she is powerful!

Nutriaitch

Redshirt

Here is a link to the Epiphone page for my holllow body:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/ES-339-PRO.aspx

it’s technically a semi hollow.

had no intentions of buying a guitar when i found her.
but i picked it up, played it, and the damn thing followed me home. lol.

ETA: was actually looking at a Gretsch similar to the one George Harrison played on Ed Sullivan show, but this 339 key calling me back to her.

TigerTap

Senior
Gibson owns Epiphone.
so the Epiphone equivalent will be built to same “spec” as the Gibson.

meaning more size, shape, weight, neck profile, etc.
so it will look and feel like a Gibson.

the difference is the quality of woods, electronics, finish, etc.

if you buy an ultra low end Epiphone, you’re buying mostly junk. not terrible for a young child’s first guitar. but even a teen would notice the lack of quality if you bought them one.

mid-range epi’s are really well made guitars.
my SG, my 339 and my Les Paul Standard all fall in this range.
i highly recommend them in the “bang for your buck” category.
all are beautiful guitars, play very smooth, and have a very gibson-esque vibe to their tones.

then if you go top of the spectrum Epiphone....
WOW!

my tribute Plus was about the most expensive Epiphone available at time i bought it. Extreme top end for them, but still comfortably under $1,000.

it’s on par with Guitars well over that price range.
blow. the Gibson out of the water too.

has all american gibson parts solid mahogany body, hard maple cap grover licking tuners, true Gibson USA pickups, etc.
it’s just built overseas.

Finish is a cheaper grade than the Nitro used in America, but is still gorgeous in person.

and she is powerful!

Wow! Some seriously nice guitars! I love the custom shop Strat iced tea Les Paul, & the '61 SG. Really like all of them..