LSU, Miles Agree To Settlement...

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
I enjoyed Miles as a couch f0r a lot of years, and while I agree it was time for a change by time he left, he will be missed. Saving $5M on his buyout might prove to be helpful.
LSU, Les Miles agree to settlement on remaining buyout money owed

LSU and former head football coach Les Miles agreed to a settlement on the remaining $6.5 million owed to Miles from the buyout following his 2016 firing.

LSU will pay Miles $1.5 million in a one-time lump sum payment. The original agreement would have paid Miles north of $9 million in monthly payments of more than $133,000 until 2023.

“It’s time for both parties to move forward,” LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said in a statement. “One of the challenges of the buyout that was in place was there just wasn’t a lot of incentive to move on to other things. We were looking to provide that and Coach Miles and his representatives also were ready. It was a mutually agreed upon goal and a very positive process from beginning to end.”

This comes after Miles' name has come up as a candidate for the Kansas football head coaching job. The payments on his agreement would have been offset against any new salary. Alleva said the discussions on the settlement have been ongoing for several weeks.

The settlement was fully executed Thursday (Nov. 15).

Miles went 114-34 in 12 years with LSU, winning the 2007 BCS National Championship and two SEC championships.

Last edited:

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
I had no idea he was that desperate to get back into coaching. He's 65 years old. Retire and enjoy watching your kids play the sports they are involved in. The grass must really be good in Kansas.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
He loves coaching and mentoring, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Besides there’s low expectations in Kansas.

Miles can recruit. After a few seasons of recruiting his power run offense and a strong defense, he can win 6-7 games a year, go bowling, and cruise until he’s ready to give it all up.

COTiger

Retired Old Fart
I just read that CU fired their HC. You should have waited a few days Les. CU & Boulder would be a drastic step up from KU & Lawrence.

GREG

LSU Fan'alyst
$2.775M/5 yrs with retention bonus in 2020 & 2022. A fairly easy road to a bowl game even every other year. Miles will have it made at KU.